There is still a way for Theresa May to get out of this Brexit mess – but it would involve working with the opposition
Please send your letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
There may an elegant way out of the current political crisis. The prime minister could offer a pact to Labour and the opposition parties: support a people’s vote where the government’s deal is an option, drop any demands for further negotiation, and in good faith support the outcome of the vote whatever it is.
If this offer fails, then each opposition MP should be invited to sign up to the pact even if that means defying their party whip. The people would then, in spring, vote for which of the three options they preferred: deal, no deal or remain. No second choice allowed; everything kept simple. The government would then have time to make its case to the electorate and would be committed to making March 2019 postponement arrangements with the EU, and expediting referendum legislation through parliament.
If there were to be a second referendum on whether we should leave the EU, and the result was 52 per cent in favour of remaining and 48 per cent in favour of leaving – an exact reversal of the first referendum – what would happen then? Would the leavers demand the right to another referendum? Would we go for best of three?
Until now the press always referred to the “powerful” or “influential” European Research Group. Following recent events, is it now appropriate to use “ineffectual” or “incompetent” instead?
From time to time, as a parish minister, I watched in horror as two otherwise sensible people stumbled into an appalling divorce. Both lives were wrecked, their finances ruined, their parents and children distraught, but they couldn’t retreat. Finally, exhausted by the process, they accepted a deal which left everyone worse off.
Does that remind you of something? Brexit has all the hallmarks of such a human tragedy, including cheerleaders encouraging this monumental act of self-harm. But is this really what you want – the nation roared on into hard times by the likes of Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Jeremy Corbyn and the ghastly DUP?
Rev Dr John Cameron
It would seem that spin and jargon have now completely replaced any reasoned argument when our so-called leaders speak.
The latest phrases that must be inserted into any utterances from the Tory Party include that “it is the right deal for the UK”, despite it being the wrong deal for both Brexiteers and Remainers, and it is a deal that “will protect jobs”, but exactly how is not clear and indeed no lesser an authority than Mark Carney has announced that it will do the exact opposite.
Nicola Sturgeon has shown her true colours
Nicola Sturgeon was in her element in London yesterday, hobnobbing with national party leaders and announcing the formation of a “coalition of opposition”. This is completely in keeping with the SNP’s preferred stance as an opposition. Its perpetual opposition is to the UK and the British state.
We can see from the SNP’s lamentable conduct of government in Scotland that anything positive or constructive is beyond its understanding. The negative aspects of permanent opposition are what appeal to it and its nature as an agitprop campaigning party. All of this is to the detriment of Scotland and the Scottish people.
It’s time to rethink our national position on assisted dying
I found it really disheartening to watch Louis Theroux’s programme Choosing Death on BBC2 on Sunday evening.
For many years there have been various attempts in the UK to implement the right of people to choose their final day when suffering from a severe illness. A majority of British politicians keep ignoring the wish of the public for freedom of choice in “last matters”, thus violating human rights and creating immense suffering. A Populus poll of 5,000 people in 2015, the largest conducted on assisted dying, indicated that 82 per cent of the public supported assisted suicide.
It is time to call a spade a spade: to obstruct the implementing of assisted dying in the UK when it is available in many other parts of the world is ignorant, irresponsible and hypocritical. Opposing politicians are violating human rights and freedoms as basically acknowledged by the European Court of Human Rights in 2011.
Our politicians are paid with money from tax to represent people, which many no longer do. Opposing politicians need to be held responsible for their inactivity on something the large majority of people have wished for a long time: the right to pass away by choice and in peace at one’s home surrounded by loved ones.
It’s time to change the law. In the next election opposing politicians do not deserve a supportive vote anymore. It’s time to replace them by more responsible, humane and real representatives of the public.