Man survives shark attack only to contract severe flesh-eating skin infection
Blain Shelton remains in hospital after the shark bit into his leg
A man who managed to fight off a shark attack has now contracted a severe flesh-eating infection, it has been reported.
Blain Shelton, from Texas, was swimming off the shore of Boliver Island in Galveston County when a shark bit into his leg.
The 42-year-old managed to escape, but exposure to the seawater left him with a severe flesh-eating infection.
Mr Shelton was admitted to hospital for treatment for the shark bite on his lower thigh, but after he was released the severe pain near the wound only worsened.
Upon returning to hospital, doctors said that a flesh-eating bacterial infection was leading to his skin rotting away.
“I’d heard there was bacteria in the water, I just never treated it serious,” Mr Shelton told KHOU11.
“But to tell you the truth, if you’ve got a scratch on your arm or your leg, I wouldn’t get in that water. And if you do, bring some alcohol with you to clean it the second you get out. It’s nothing to play with.”
Mr Shelton is recovering in hospital and has amassed hospital bills of $30,000 (£23,350).
He has set up a gofundme page to help cover the costs.