Pets are often first to feel the impact of CO2 poisoning so are able to warn their owners who will pick up on the signs
One in three pet owners have been alerted to danger - by their animals, according to a new poll.
The survey of 2,000 pet owners found their animals had warned them of hazards including fires and carbon monoxide leaks.
One in 10 even claimed their pet had directly saved their life or the life of someone they know.
The survey was commissioned to raise awareness of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and the symptoms to look out for.
CO poisoning often affects pets first sparking vomiting, tiredness and erratic behaviour, giving their owners an early warning sign.
However 40 per cent of those polled admitted they wouldn’t be able to recognise the symptoms of CO poisoning.
“You can’t see, smell or taste a carbon monoxide leak so it’s important to be aware of this potentially fatal danger in the home," said Matthew Cole, a spokesman for npower which commissioned the poll. “Common household appliances like boilers, gas fires, log burners and cookers can all cause accidental exposure. So it’s important that people understand the symptoms of CO poisoning and if you notice any symptoms in combination go outside immediately and seek help.”
Among those polled, one parent revealed they had called for an ambulance after their pet barked repeatedly to let them know their one year old baby was having a convulsion.
Another owner revealed that their dog woke them during the night while they were having a potentially lethal hypoglycaemic attack.
For more information about carbon monoxide safety, please click here.