One in three pet owners have been alerted to danger - by their animals, according to a new poll. 

The survey of 2,000 pet owners found their animals had warned them of hazards including fires and carbon monoxide leaks.

One in 10 even claimed their pet had directly saved their life or the life of someone they know.

We’ll tell you what’s true. You can form your own view.

From 15p €0.18 $0.18 USD 0.27 a day, more exclusives, analysis and extras.

The survey was commissioned to raise awareness of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and the symptoms to look out for.

CO poisoning often affects pets first sparking vomiting, tiredness and erratic behaviour, giving their owners an early warning sign.

However 40 per cent of those polled admitted they wouldn’t be able to recognise the symptoms of CO poisoning.

“You can’t see, smell or taste a carbon monoxide leak so it’s important to be aware of this potentially fatal danger in the home," said Matthew Cole, a spokesman for npower which commissioned the poll. “Common household appliances like boilers, gas fires, log burners and cookers can all cause accidental exposure. So it’s important that people understand the symptoms of CO poisoning and if you notice any symptoms in combination go outside immediately and seek help.”

Among those polled, one parent revealed they had called for an ambulance after their pet barked repeatedly to let them know their one year old baby was having a convulsion.

Another owner revealed that their dog woke them during the night while they were having a potentially lethal hypoglycaemic attack.

 

For more information about carbon monoxide safety, please click here.

SWNS

Comments

Share your thoughts and debate the big issues

Learn more
Please be respectful when making a comment and adhere to our Community Guidelines.
  • You may not agree with our views, or other users’, but please respond to them respectfully
  • Swearing, personal abuse, racism, sexism, homophobia and other discriminatory or inciteful language is not acceptable
  • Do not impersonate other users or reveal private information about third parties
  • We reserve the right to delete inappropriate posts and ban offending users without notification

You can find our Community Guidelines in full here.

Create a commenting name to join the debate

Please try again, the name must be unique Only letters and numbers accepted
Loading comments...
Loading comments...
Please be respectful when making a comment and adhere to our Community Guidelines.
  • You may not agree with our views, or other users’, but please respond to them respectfully
  • Swearing, personal abuse, racism, sexism, homophobia and other discriminatory or inciteful language is not acceptable
  • Do not impersonate other users or reveal private information about third parties
  • We reserve the right to delete inappropriate posts and ban offending users without notification

You can find our Community Guidelines in full here.

Loading comments...
Loading comments...